Monday, October 1, 2007

Media Day is Here

We're less than two hours from Sonics Media Day, which will unofficially kick off the 2007-08 season. The first practice is scheduled for tomorrow and can you believe we're only eight days from a preseason game in Sacramento?

Media Day is sort of like the first day of school, when you reunite with everyone after taking the summer off, except there's a lot more new students than you probably had in your classes. Not only is it the first chance to interact with most of the players, the writers haven't seen each other much either before working with each other every day for months.

Every year, I think back to my first Media Day five years ago - before I secured the internship with the Sonics & Storm that eventually turned into this full-time gig. Back then, I was writing on my own for SonicsCentral.com, and I described the experience in a column. It's strange to look back on now as something of a veteran of the process and funny to laugh at some comments that look silly with the benefit of hindsight.

Anyways, look for lots of coverage on SUPERSONICS.COM. I'll try to check in on the blog between interviews. More likely, I'll have a wrap-up post after Media Day is complete before getting to work on the usual stories. We'll also be posting plenty of photos and some audio, so check it out.