Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Carlesimo on Durant

Sonics Head Coach P.J. Carlesimo was asked about Kevin Durant's first two games today after practice, and I thought what he had to say was very interesting.

"I'm not sure if you gave me a choice, do you want him to come in and score 30 a game or do you want him to maybe experience a little bit of adversity, I'm not sure which one would have been better," Carlesimo said. "It wasn't something I had any control over anyhow. He's good. I like reading the quotes when you guys are talking to him after the games, I like when I've talked to him.

"I like what I saw on the court. There's times where he could do this better or do that better, but the thing that I've been most happy with him is his interaction. Even in practice you see it. He's throwing the ball to Mo, Mo makes a shot, he goes over and pats him on the back. I really like that."

Carlesimo throws out the interesting thought that immediate huge success might not have been the best thing for Durant. If he makes some adjustments and comes back with his best games late in the summer - not tomorrow, as he'll miss the game because he previously committed to attend the ESPY Awards - that might be the best possibility of all.